Friday, September 7, 2012

Pork pudding sausage and Apple Pie - the anti austerity edition

I know I've been quiet. The thing is, the past few days have been unexpectedly exciting - with great news on the job front and some thrilling purchases at Ikea [aromatic herbs garden, here we go! - I'll post photos when the project is done]. It's funny how positive thoughts and events attract other positive events, isn't it?

However, our PM was set to announce some not-so-brilliant news concerning new austerity measures during MY dinner time, and I was NOT going to allow that to change my mood. Well, I knew a football match (Portugal vs Luxembourg) was coming up, which is always the best thing after a political announcement that affects millions of lives like this (we won, by the way), but I needed some extra motivation. So, I dove in my fridge and looked for ingredients to try and cook something I had never done before. Just to take my mind off of it all. 

That's when I thought of a pork pudding sausage and apple pie.

Remove the skin from 1 pork pudding sausage and cut it into pieces. Heat it in a frying-pan.





Peel an apple and cut it in tiny cubes. 



Add them to the frying-pan and mix everything together. When the pork pudding sausage is golden brown and the apple cubes are soft, take them away from the stove and let the mixture cool.



Cut circles of pastry dough big enough to cover individual pie molds (I find it best to run my hands through flour before doing it). 



Then fill the molds with the sausage & apple mix. Cover it with another circle of dough, pressing the upper and bottom rims together, closing the pie. 

Brush the top part with egg (previously beaten) and let the pies cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 180ºC. By then, they should be of a delicious golden colour. Let them cool a little before serving. 



Since these pies are enough to keep you satisfied, I think a light lettuce and walnut salad (with the simplest of dressings: salt, vinegar and olive oil) goes really well with it.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. What delicious looking parcels! I love the apple involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're delicious outside the screen, too. At least that's what I think: NO LEFTOVERS. ;)

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I think sausages would go well with apples totally... sweet and salty contrast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so. And adding the apple is just the perfect healthy excuse to do it. ;)

      Delete